Road accidents are very common in India. Due to poor road conditions, infrastructure, traffic, rash driving, drunken driving, and several other reasons, India is a country with the highest number of road accidents. Bike insurance will act as financial aid to policyholders, but it is important to be aware of how to make a bike insurance claim.
Table of Contents
What is a Bike Insurance Claim?
When a person buys two-wheeler insurance, they would be required to pay premiums every year for a certain duration. The insurance company, in turn, agrees that they would pay for any damages that occur during the policy tenure. When an unfortunate incident like an accident or theft takes place, the policyholder will be required to raise a “claim” or in simple words, make the insurer aware of the situation. Only if the claim is filed can the insurance provider aid the policyholder.
Types of Insurance Claims
Cashless Bike Insurance Claim – Under this type of insurance claim, if the policyholder’s bike is damaged, their bike can be sent to one of the network garages. These garages will have a contract with the insurance company, and they will directly send the bills to the insurer. The insurer will settle the bills with the network garage. The policyholder will not be required to make any cash payments.
Reimbursement Claim – In case the bike cannot be serviced at a network garage or if the policyholder chooses a garage of their choice, the policyholder can make the payment first. Then make a claim, collect the required bills, and submit it to the insurance provider after which the amount will be reimbursed.
How to File a Bike Insurance Claim
- The first step is to intimate the insurance provider about the damage. It can be done in the following ways:
- Call the customer services executive
- Mail the insurance company
- Approach one of the offices directly
- Submit the following documents:
- Claim form
- Driving License copy
- Registration Certificate copy of the bike
- FIR copy in case of Third-Party Death/Injury
- Original bills in case of reimbursement claims
- A quick survey will be done by the insurance provider and the surveyor will investigate the damages
- The surveyor will have to approve the case and then the bike will be sent to either a network garage or a garage of the policyholder’s choice
- If the bike is serviced by a network garage, a cashless claim is possible and if it is sent to a non-network garage, a reimbursement can be made
Common Reasons for Claim Rejections
The insurance company is very careful about processing claims. There are several reasons why a claim can be rejected. Here are a few:
- Inaccurate information provided in the claim form
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving without a valid license
- Delay in informing the insurer regarding the damage
- An expired two-wheeler insurance
As consumers, one must be aware of insurance procedures to avoid any kind of difficulty during the claim process. To buy new insurance or to know more about the bike insurance claim process, click here!