Recent research has shown that people who use large monitors (up to 24 inches) can double the performance of certain tasks. Yet, most depend on the right use of monitors. In general, we would like to share with you some helpful information on this topic. You will find out how to choose a 17 monitor and take care of it.
Table of Contents
Select diagonal and aspect ratio
Depending on the size, you should consider the distance to the screen, as well as the level of content quality that the monitor should display. The closer to the display, the more noticeable are all the drawbacks of the image.
Higher resolution gives a clearer picture but increases the level of video card requirements. For large models, you will need the appropriate hardware if you sit close to the monitor.
A monitor diagonal by Beetronics Inc. could be:
- 19 to 22 inches (Diagonals of not expensive devices for an office. For home usage, it is a wrong option);
- 23-24 inches (Quite popular diagonals among office and home models. Usually such screens have a Full HD resolution and are suitable for most everyday tasks);
- 27 inches is a common variant that is often used in gaming and professional devices.
- 29-30 inches (diagonals of popular ultra-broad models);
- 31.5-32 inches is the optimal size for scaling 4K resolution (3 840 2 160 pixels).
- 34 inch (a diagonal of ultra-wide monitors with support for 3 440 1 440 pixels. Quite often these are curved models designed for immersion in games);
- 37.5-38 inches (diagonals of ultra-wide devices with 4K support);
- 42, 43 and 49 inches are the sizes of broad models that can be used instead of a pair of small screens for maximum immersion in games and for working with multiple programs simultaneously.
So, for work with photos, video, and graphics, choose diagonals from 27 inches. With this size you can comfortably use editors like Photoshop, placing all the necessary tools on the screen.
The most common variant of the aspect ratio in monitors is 16: 9. It is suitable for most tasks including games, movies, and work cases. There is also a less well-known format – 16:10.
And among gaming and professional devices, the ratio of 21: 9 (Ultra Wide) is popular. Even wider models are produced in 32:9 and 32:10 formats. These are usually curved displays with the above 43 or 49-inch diagonals.
All monitors except OLED use LED matrix illumination. At the moment, manufacturers in addition to the standard LED versions also apply improved technologies:
- Nano IPS is an LG technology that eliminates parasitic shades on illuminated LEDs. This significantly improves color rendering compared to conventional LED versions.
- QLED is a popular Samsung standard that extends the color coverage of the LCD monitor. This technology uses blue LEDs, which form the missing red and green for the RGB, using a layer with quantum dots.
- Mini-LED is illumination on mini-LEDs with the local dimming of pixels and high luminosity. So far it is only used in expensive monitors.
Explore the available connectors
Now the number of ports in the monitors has decreased to a minimum. Video and sound are transmitted via HDMI connectors, so all you need to do is make sure they are enough for all your devices. However, there are several nuances, which are also worth paying attention to:
- The VGA (D-SUB) is an outdated analog connector still used in budget devices.
- The DVI (DVI-I, DVI-D) is installed in almost all modern models. It is quite high quality and quickly transmits the signal. The DVI-I mod supports analog and digital transmission.
- HDMI is a popular standard with more bandwidth than DVI. Supports all resolutions up to 4K. It can simultaneously transmit video and audio signals.
- DisplayPort is an up-to-date and efficient connector that also transmits video and audio directly. It has more bandwidth than HDMI.
- Thunderbolt 3 is Apple’s high bandwidth standard.
Explore additional features
The curved display enhances the immersion effect of gameplay. The picture seems more realistic, there are no distortions on the edges. But for this, you need to sit exactly in the center of the screen. Therefore, such monitors are usually not suitable for comfortable watching movies.
Glossy screens are very glamorous, but they better transmit colors. The matte coating eliminates glare, but its main problem is the low saturation of the picture. The choice depends on the location of the monitor table in the room relative to the light source.
Most of the current displays have vision protection systems. The Flicker-Free feature indicates no harmful eye glimmer. Low Blue Light indicates reduced blue light to reduce visual activity.
Sensor monitors are useful for training, conducting presentations and as an additional screen in professional work. Most often, they support maximum Full HD resolution to balance quality, convenience and cost.
Some monitors include a headphone output that is suitable for everyday use if you do not have an external sound card or cannot connect the wired model to the system block. The USB hub also allows you to connect keyboards, mice, and other peripherals via the display to the computer.
The stand of the monitor can be adjustable in height and inclination and can be rotated 90°. Programmers, analysts, engineers, and traders will need to install the portrait mode. In budget models, you can usually only change the display tilt.
Almost all monitors have a VESA mount, which allows you to hang the device on the wall or install it on the bracket. The most common standards are the VESA 100 mm and 75 75 mm.
Wrapping it up
A brand is not the most important parameter when choosing a monitor, as well as any other technology. Any company has successful and unsuccessful models, series, and even batches of goods. It is more reasonable to pay attention to the parameters themselves. So, take into account the matrix (manufacturers of the matrix and monitor are often different), resolution, scanning frequency, and so on.
However, it is necessary to be extremely careful with unknown and little-known companies. It is with them the mentioned characteristics may not correspond to the real. And sometimes they save on some important components. To avoid this kind of problem when choosing a new monitor, rely on Beetronics Inc.